09/11/2012

You Are Worth Fighting For


Hoi ya!

When I was a wee little lass, I wanted to grow up to be a ninja. Whilst other girls dreamed of being ballerinas or princesses, I wanted to learn how to karate chop people in the neck. Not sure if it was my Asian genes that influenced my future aspirations, but all I knew for sure was as I got older, I was totally into the idea of being a kick-ass chick that could eliminate vampires à la Buffy...

Despite my dreams of round-house kicking bad guys in the head, I only dabbled in a bit of karate as a young teen. It was just for fun, nothing serious. Until a few years ago, my friend was attacked on a train station one afternoon. The most tragic part was there were other people around but no one offered any assistance. This incident really hit home to me one powerful message: the only person who you can rely on to defend you is YOU.

For the last few years, I've been doing Krav Maga. If you haven't heard of it, it's a fighting system designed to be used in real-life situations. A perfect form of self defence for teeny, weak girls like me. I'm no Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My default setting is most likely to run away with my arms flailing and screaming like a banshee. But I hope if push comes to shove, I might have an improved chance of fighting off an attacker if I'm ever unfortunate enough to be in such an unsavoury situation.

My request to all you lovely ladies out there is to consider doing a short self-defence course. I'm not saying you need to become paranoid about suddenly being pounced on when you are out and about. No, I'm just asking you to consider being prepared just in case something bad happens. The chances of being a victim are probably pretty slim but it could be a simple case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Shit happens. And it COULD happen to you. Let's think of self defence like first aid training. You hope you never have to use it, but if the time occurs you have to, you'll be ready.


Damn straight, you should!

Finally, I'm asking you beautiful gals reading this to give yourselves permission to protect yourselves. Because you are important. It is not ok for someone to attack you. Ever. And if someone tries, they're going to get the biggest shock when you knee them in the groin. You have every right to defend yourself if anyone is ever stupid enough to try to physically hurt you.

So, please go forth and learn how to kick some bad-guy ass.



Taking part in my very first blog hop. Hoppity hop!



11 comments:

  1. You're back! That sounds like an interesting course. Unfortunately, my self defence probably is just about poking in the eye or kicking in the nuts. Or else just screaming. I might look into this and see if there's any in Sydney close to home for next year perhaps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three key words exist in Krav Maga: EYES, THROAT, BALLS. Congrats, you're already two-thirds of the way there. Psych Babbler, you would be an ace student in Krav!

      Delete
  2. Good work! I have some good friends who do Karate and Krav Maga too and I am seriously considering taking up something too. I used to do Karate in school and have a green belt but that stopped after I finished school. You're inspiring me to look into it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome you did karate Miss Rbit. Definitely look into taking up karate again. Who knows? You might be a black belt in no time :)

      Delete
  3. Rock on Kim! You rule.
    I wanted to be an engineer when I was little, then a fairy. But now I'd really like to have some self defense training. I have no idea if Krav Maga is taught in Hobart, but I intend to find out! I love everything about this post. You made my day.

    YOU ARE WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly! You're too kind. Surely there's some form of self defence classes in Hobart. A ball-breaking, eye-gouging stuffed olive would definitely be feared by all...

      Delete
  4. I think it's so cute that you wanted to be a ninja! I did Aikido for a few years and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely wouldn't want to mess with you trishie!

      Delete
  5. Great advice. I did boxing and kick boxing for awhile. It makes you so much stronger and gives you some confidence that you would have a fighting chance were you unfortunate enough to be attacked. Thanks for linking up for Flash Blog Friday Little Ninja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoa! You're one tough chick, Bree. Kick boxing looks intense. Thanks for letting me take part in Flash Blog Friday :)

      Delete
  6. Nice post. I learn something new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon on
    a daily basis. It's always exciting to read content from other writers and use a little something from their sites.
    Review my web-site : slow computer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting :)
Unless you're spam or a troll!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...